In the construction industry, there are plenty of contractors and subcontractors all over South Africa. Many formwork contractors and subcontractors might just be starting off in the construction industry, not always having the necessary experience for the job at hand.
Partnering with an experienced, trusted and reliable formwork contractor like Formacon, who specializes in the field of formwork, not only eliminates the possibility of delays on a contract but will ensure the contract is completed according to high standards.
Safety, Health & Environmental issues also come into the spotlight when selecting the correct formwork contractor. If Safety, Health & Environmental regulations are not adhered to, it can lead to formwork failure, injury, loss of life and major delays on the contract. Formacon has a dedicated SHE-Team that oversees all aspects of SHE regulations on and off-site.
At Formacon we have our own Engineer and design team. They ensure that the correct material is specified within the formwork design to ensure cost-effectiveness & safety.
Our Material handling & maintenance teams ensure that the formwork material is inspected, cleaned and refurbished if required to ensure that the material adheres to standards. This also prolongs the lifetime of the formwork material. The maintenance of formwork structures is just as important as the erection of the structures for optimal quality and safety ensuring a quality service and product is delivered every time.
Formacon has its own vehicle fleet ensuring that material reaches the site in time and is again cleared away after completion.
Formacon delivers the full package. Give us a call today.
Formwork installation procedure involves the following operations:
- Propping and centring - Propping is a system of structural members used temporarily to support loads during construction. The forces arising from these loads must be fully resolved, using props or columns to provide all the support needed for the work under construction, such as beams, formwork but are not limited to only the above mentioned.
- Shuttering – Formwork (Shuttering) acts as moulds for pouring concrete.
- Provision of chamber - The formation of a sharp nice corner is practically difficult and the concrete at corners is easily chipped and broken into pieces during the removal of concrete formwork. Hence, the provision of chamber could protect the corner from chipping when striking formwork.
- Cleaning and surface treatment - Cleaning and surface treatment.
Formwork stripping procedure
When is it safe to start the formwork stripping procedure?
The forms or moulds that holds the concrete in place until it dries should be left alone for at least two days to ensure that the concrete has cured. If the forms are removed too soon, the concrete can begin to sag, crack and collapse.
To start the formwork stripping procedure, you need a qualified contractor to follow the following steps:
- Allow the concrete to dry before removing the forms. You'll want the concrete to be hard and strong so that removing the forms does not result in a sagging surface. Allow the concrete to cure overnight.
- Remove forms starting at the top of sloping slabs. Use a hammer to remove nails from the stakes holding the forms in place.
- Remove the stakes from the ground that support the forms with a stake puller to avoid damaging the stakes or the forms.
- Pull the forms away from the sides of the concrete slab using as little force as possible. If a form sticks to the slab or is difficult to remove, use the pry bar to pry the form upward from the ground, loosening the form from the concrete in the process. Pull the loosened form from the concrete. Be careful not to gouge the slab with the pry bar in the process.
- Remove forms on alternating sides of the slab to maintain the structural balance. For example, with a square slab start at the upper left corner, then remove the form from the lower right corner, then the upper right followed by the lower left. Remove all forms in this manner. If the forms are reusable, clean them and store them in a dry place. Otherwise, dispose of the forms.
For all your formwork needs, contact Formacon. We are specialists in concrete formwork construction.
Formacon received a 5 Star rating in the MBA North annual competition, and we celebrated Nelson Mandela day.
Formacon had an amazing week with many accomplishments. Not only did we celebrate Mandela day with Lebato Daycare Centre in Nellmapius, but our Construction Health and Safety team also obtained a 5-star rating from the MBA North for Waterfall Corporate Campus.
We are proud to announce that our Construction Health and Safety team, was entered in the annual MBA North grading competition and obtained a 5-star Grading as well as a 2nd place award in the category of “Best Subcontractor with site establishment” on the project - Waterfall Corporate Park.
With a team like this, Formacon is becoming the leading formwork construction company in South Africa. Construction Health and Safety has always been one of the most important aspects of our business and we are proud of what we have accomplished thus far. We would also like to thank our valued customers for the continuous support enabling us to do what we do best - Formwork construction.
The objective in taking part in this yearly competition is that it provides a platform from which companies may benchmark their HSE management systems and implementation against other companies in our region and nationally. By participating in the competition, the company verifies their compliance with relevant legislation and best practices in the industry.
Formacon is extremely proud of the award and we would like to congratulate our Construction Health and Safety team members Dianne Janse van Rensburg, Renier and Paulina for this amazing accomplishment.
Mandela Day 2019 activities
Nelson Mandela day was just as much fun. What an amazing privilege to give back to our community on a special day like Nelson Mandela day on the 18th of July 2019. We had the opportunity to look at the world through the eyes of a child. As Nelson Mandela said, “History will judge us by the difference we make in the everyday lives of children.” Formacon not only strives to deliver the best construction services to our clients but also to make a change in the world, starting with our children. We had so much fun with the children from Lebato Daycare Centre. The children had hotdogs for lunch, we played musical chairs and did some face painting. Formacon would like to thank our team members, Dianne, Chenez, Mathilda, Joyce, Anina and Zipho for opening your hearts towards our community’s children and for spending time with them. Also a special word of thanks to Lebato Daycare Centre for allowing us to make a difference in the lives of our children.
As Tata Madiba said : “Together as a nation, we have the obligation to put sunshine into the hearts of our little ones. They are our precious possessions. They deserve what happiness life can offer.”
In order to achieve an exceptional finish in cast concrete surfaces, one must seek out a company with the appropriate skills, expertise and equipment to undertake the task at hand.
One such company is Formacon, a leading professional formwork company in Pretoria, which has an impeccable reputation that speaks for itself. The company offers supply and installation specializing in formwork with a clear focus on reliability, quality, transparency and professionalism as part of a complete package.
Formacon has seen rapid growth over the years becoming one of the preferred formwork companies in South Africa. Using only the highest quality products, Formacon is recognised as a market leader in the provision of specialised formwork in the construction industry.
The company’s success can be attributed to an exceptional and dedicated team that delivers a high-quality product on time, every time. Formacon strives to comply with the Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental standards on-site and has been awarded an MBA 5 Star rating on its Waterfall Corporate Campus, Master Tyre and Westlake projects – a true reflection of excellence in its Safety, Health and Environmental policy aspiration of ZERO Harm.
Formacon has extensive experience in all types of projects in the building industry covering office, warehouse, retail, residential and healthcare markets. Some of the more well-known contracts Formacon has have been involved in are:
Speciality Formwork Projects
Casarredo, Hans Grotle, Luso, Commerce Crescent33
No 2 Sandton Drive, Hertford Office Part Blocks D, E, H, I & J. Waterfall Corporate Campus
Pep & Ackermans (200 000m2 warehouse & offices in Hammarsdale KZN). Various warehousing projects boasting 15m high mono-cast columns
Tshwane Regional Mall, Cresta Mall, Menlyn Mall, Parkview Shopping Centre
Thembelihle Village High Density Accommodation, Infinite Boutique Apartments, Oceans High Rise Residential Towers KZN
Helen Joseph Hospital, Wilgers Hospital
Booysens Magistrates Court, Presidential Residence Pretoria, University of Johannesburg Soweto Campus
Bushkoppies WWTW, Russel Road Reservoir, (30ML), Willowtown Oil (soya bunkers)
The synergy within Formacon enhances the company’s commitment and passion to live the vision and expand its client base.
Formacon staff do nothing by half measures and opening their hearts and giving back to communities is no exception. They have partnered with Chances of Hope, a non-profit organisation, which reaches out into the South African rural areas specifically in the Northern Cape and Karoo. Supporting this initiative subsequently led to the launch of their own cycling team in 2017 to raise funds.
Since 2017 Formacon is proud to have raised R390 000 towards this cause – and the team takes more pride in that than in the races they’ve won. With these funds they have:
- Built a soup kitchen
- Supplied 3 existing soup kitchens with pots and utensils
- Distributed 10 Tons of clothing
- Travelled more than 16 000km for counselling children
- Launched an outreach program in Brandvlei over Christmas and New Year
- Equipped a Day-Care Centre
- Equipped and financed a children’s computer centre
- Repaired 63 bicycles for children to ride
- Provided continued support in various towns, working with children and groups who are victims of a range of abuse situations
- Funded the manufacturing of warm clothing for three towns
- Assisted a very talented child in Oudtshoorn with his school fees and other items, and
- Have assisted schools with much needed books and materials for teaching purposes.
Formacon’s footprints are visible in all its endeavours, be it excellent and professional execution of each and every project, its high work ethic or its participation in upliftment programmes for those in need.
When choosing the correct formwork company for the job at hand, there are several aspects to keep in mind. The most over-looked aspects are reliability, quality, transparency, professionalism and the reputation of the company.
Formacon offers all of the above and so much more. Formwork is one of the most important aspects of any construction project. Choosing the right supportive elements like formwork from a reputable manufacturer is just as important as selecting the correct power tools. Formacon pride ourselves with being in accordance with the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) to ensure quality workmanship.
Formacon is one of the leading professional formwork companies in South Africa with an immaculate reputation that speaks for itself. Formacon comes from humble beginnings but has seen rapid growth over the years becoming the preferred formwork company in South Africa. With the highest quality products, we are proud to say that we are one of the market leaders in the provision of specialised formwork in the construction industry.
What to expect from a formwork company like Formacon:
- High quality products that exceed the expectations of all our clients and stakeholders
- Practising of good Corporate Governance with the emphasis on transparency, hard work and strict adherence to ethical and non-corrupt business practices.
- Adherence to a strict regime of Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental issues on all construction sites.
- Continuous investment of resources towards the attainment and maintenance of a genuine Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment policy in line with the principals of the Construction Industry Transformation Charter.
- Upliftment of the lives of the underprivileged in our country through our Social Responsibility Programmes in our communities, towns and cities.
Formacon is one of the leading formwork companies in South Africa. Contact us for your quote today.